Reef nutrition

Apex Trident Pros and Cons

I will not buy something that forces you to use it way more than “required” and then uses proprietary reagents. Sorry, that’s just jacked up in my book.

And something that has mandatory maintenance that you have to send it in for...

I will not buy something that forces you to use it way more than “required” and then uses proprietary reagents. Sorry, that’s just jacked up in my book.

And something that has mandatory maintenance that you have to send it in for...
It might actually be required to run often, so chemicals do not settle out and such.
The reefbot seems to always be running the little magnetic stirrers.

What is this about mandatory maintenance?

Honestly, I don't care whether the reagents are proprietary or how often I'm "forced" to run tests. The way I look at it, it's a $26/mo (after tax+shipping) ongoing cost for:

- not having to run tests myself
- not pulling dead coral skeletons out of the tank
- automatic dosage adjustments
- pretty graphs
- alarms when things get weird

I do not like the ca and mag daily testing. I think it's a waste.
I feel something like a khg, alktronic or khd for daily alk testing is better return on investment.
Or something like khg or khd for alk, and ghl ion director for no3, potassium and ca is also better in term of useful paramaters to test for...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You don’t have to test it daily, there’s a manual test choice let you disable daily test. And test when you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly, I don't care whether the reagents are proprietary or how often I'm "forced" to run tests. The way I look at it, it's a $26/mo (after tax+shipping) ongoing cost for:

- not having to run tests myself
- not pulling dead coral skeletons out of the tank
- automatic dosage adjustments
- pretty graphs
- alarms when things get weird
Not sure the $$ per month is clearly known yet. Maintenance costs are still not very clear. The market now is full with automation devices each one is better than the other.

I personally think automation should come after some essentials. Something like CArx changed my reef completly, eapecially paired with kh test device like the khg in my case...I would pay for carx, a good return pump and a good skimmer before I pay for automations...if budget is factor I would go with these essentials first. If not, then I fill up on tech:))

$26 per month is a lot! Plus the cost of the unit.

Look, I get that these things are awesome, but I’d rather spend that money on corals or to feed my family

Can I test kg without testing mag and ca?

So far only alk alone or combined.

dff0f342657bf80f5960c767696183a4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some folks are militant about testing all their parameters and making micro-adjustments regularly -- If that's you, you can probably save the $$ and carry on with your bad self.
See I would think if this was you the Trident would be a perfect tool to have.

Me I do weekly alk testing, and "monthly" calc testing, being as I only dose kalkwasser for now I feel the alkalinity pretty much dials me into where I need to be. And 4x per day alk testing just seems a bit overkill for my tastes.

Hmm.... get a KH Guardian plus my current reefbot.
Alk is good to test fairly often. Use the reefbot for everything else except Alk, run weekly.
More toys = good.
(And I was looking at CoralVue's new rollermat thing at CFM)

Hmm.... get a KH Guardian plus my current reefbot.
Alk is good to test fairly often. Use the reefbot for everything else except Alk, run weekly.
More toys = good.
(And I was looking at CoralVue's new rollermat thing at CFM)
The only thing worth test daily, and dare I say it's a must to test daily with certain types of reef.
I test ca ince every 3 to 4 months and test mag once a year.
The problem I see with testing individual is reefers might end up chasing diffrent levels and start dosing difftent values of ca and alk which can cause imbalance.
Knowing kh then dosing 2 equal part based on the kh value was the turning point in my reef. Ince I stopped chasing ca and alk value separately things changed dramatically and I learned I was dealing with imbalance which caused me to interpret my ca and alk values wrong...

That's why I think carx improve success. Because cars dose ca and alk equally and reduce chances of us messing with diffrent values...
I use pure carx media and my reef thrived more when I turned on the reactor. Which lead me to conclude that it was simply the equal dosing. Not the school of thoughts that carx add trace elemnt that's why it push more success...my media do not add anything other than alk amd ca

Back