Cali Kid Corals

Co2 scrubber folks

so it looks like it has a co2 and RH sensor inside (and you can add on an ambient (room) co2 and RH sensor if you want.) it has 3 air intakes, wet, dry and indoor, not 100% sure where each is connected. seems like one is connected to the skimmer and the other is just room air, not sure if the dry needs to be run outside or something.

Seems like it alternates between those 3 to maintain a optimal RH in the reactor. its not really clear if it also switches between those to maintain a co2 value.

It seems like it operates on the premise of constantly supplying air of the same co2 level. I would assume you adjust your co2 level to maintain the PH you want, kinda like a CaRX except opposite.

Wow, the reporting of co2 is really cool. I womder if it will help illuminating if the ph is impacted due to high co2 or something esle..I really like it..
I also like that it take care of keeping humid air going thru the media which is something that improve the media efficiency..

This is literally what I’ve been dreaming of for co2 scrubbing. Unfortunately it’ll probably be too big for my setup and I’ll be unable to run it.

Ok here is the scoop of how this reactor work.
In essence what this reactor is doing is regulsting the humidity inside the reactor through the media.
Reactor has 2 air inlets and 1 outlet
The outlet connect to the skimmer loke any other co2 scrubber reactor
The 2 inlets ports are where the reactor will get air from.
Reactor constantly measure the humidity (RH) of the air at each port and inside the reactor
-Remember, the goal is keep certain humidity inside the reactor-

Their vision is that one inlet port bring room air, the 2nd inlet port is dropped near the water in the sump.

Normally room air inlet is enabled, of humidity inside the reactor dropped, the reactor switch to the humid inlet port (near the water) and bring up the humidity inside the reactor to the target level, then switch back to the regular room air port

There can be diffrent implemntation here based on the reefer need.
Example: if you want to ise the akimmer cup recirculating method, you drop the humid inlet inside the skimmer cup, and the room air inlet outside the cup. In this example the reactoe will use the skimmer cup air only to bring humidity to the right level then switch to regular air.

Finally, the product also monitor the co2 inside snd outside the reactor. But not actions is being taken based on the co2 level, its just monitor snd report for the user.

They claim, that if the co2 scrubner media maintained proper humidity, its effeceny snd life is much better than running it dry. Which I agree on that.

So the value prob here is: maintain humidity level of the media to improve its performance and life..

I personslly think there was a huge missed oppurtunity here, they are measuring co2 level already, i wish they made some sort of bypass where if co2 level is low, they paypass the media to prolong the media life.

The price point of this reactor is not bad in my op, it will be between $250 to 350$ depend on the options you add(you can add more sensors to the reactor)

I was bit disappointed that co2 is not being used to a control function.

I will still get one just to try it and for the value of controlled humidity. But I doubt it will have big follwoing USA. They have certain conditilns in Japan and Singapore where humidity vary over the year that such reactor make sense to them..at least that's what they explained..

One good outcome,
I convinced them to add an option where they can bypass the media via their built in switch that can be controlled.
This will be great feature because now , I can switch the existing outlets on the reactor to short the 2 inlets and bypass the media.
So if ph is high in the tank as an example, I can route my air inlet to bypass the media and save the media life and capacity.
With this change, this reactor will be very powerful co2 scrubber.
Am happy with this outcome

Last edited:
Great work Omar.

For that price range it sure it a solid deal. If I can make it fit, I’ll be getting one. I’ve been saying for a couple years now that someone needs to make a “smart” co2 scrubber. In my opinion ensuring the ph in the tank stays over 8-8.1 is imperative and getting the ph up to at least 8.3 is best.

I am not a fan of the maintenance and risk of kalk so this is why I scrub.

Id be interested to learn about the reactor technology after you've had a chance to review it. I fashioned a DIY Dual C02 scrubber by using my old 3-stage RODI with new fittings and media tubes.

I bought the 5-gallon C02 media from med-vet - seemed to be the most economical and lasted longer for me than both the TLF and BRS media. It also has a much better color change contrast than both (for my eyes anyway)

Interesting about the humidity. After @sfsuphysics mentioned rechargeable media I was looking into it and there is a polyamine material that is used to like smoke stacks and other industrial buildings to scrub co2 and the media is also more efficient at higher humidity. It sounds like an interesting candidate but there are only a handful of journal articles about it and I no longer get access to those through school.

How will this device be controlled? Through it’s own interface or will they design it to integrate with existing controllers somehow

Back