Neptune Aquatics

Eight's 170 gallon in wall LeeMar

Hot damn that's a spicy looking anemone :D

I wonder what color it'll look once those tentacles stretch out though. My BTAs when they were young/small/had bubbles, they were a really bright pink, now that they lengthened out they're really more of a red color (I suspect that has to do with the tentacle being more stretched when smaller so the red is more spread out... looks red, you might have a neat yellowed tentacled anemone when they stretch!)

Nice tank and love the anenomes. I love the funky rock anenome, it's got a really a wild color swirl. Your clowns don't know how lucky they are to be hosting in that anenome.

Ok I made it to page 8 with my drooling like heck! Haha. I have to continue reading this thread tomorrow. Awesome tank and livestock! Great job.

Thanks Jdizzle. :)

It's been a long time since I've posted on this thread, so here are a few updates.

I got a new resident recently, a beautiful peacock mantis shrimp. I've been wanting to get one for years, but never really had the opportunity. Finally I decided that the little 5.5 gallon tank plumbed off of the Elos would be a perfect place to put a mantis. Here he is. (Actually, I'm not quite sure whether its male or female... so I'm just going to assume it's a guy. I should have checked it when I had him in the bag, but forgot.)

Top down photo. The colors on him are really amazing. He is a good 5" long, thick bodied and all of his limbs are full and intact.
801465433_qHRBu-L.jpg

Here's a closeup of his head.
801465430_HDDNt-L.jpg

Here he is glaring me down from inside his tank. I made a PVC "U tube" home, but he doesn't seem to want to use it. He prefers hanging out between some of the liverock and the tank wall. You can clearly see his two red and white 'hammers' which I have learned he isn't afraid to use.
801465436_AVrVT-L.jpg

I'm amazed at how interactive and alert he is. When I come up to the glass, he comes out of hiding and follows me with his eyes. He's learning that when I approach I often bring food with a long pair of tweezers.

Today I bought some live mussels from the asian market and handed it to him in the tank. He promptly grabbed the mussel and started whacking away at it. In four minutes he had the whole thing open and was tearing the mussel out of the shell. Very cool!

Dude! You need to host a tank showing and charge admission! That's probably the coolest shrimp I've seen so far besides my lonely pepermint :) You still have the ELOS?

Yup, still have the Elos. I was originally planning on selling it off when I upgraded to the inwall, but Bonnie convinced me to keep it. So technically, I suppose this mantis is in Bonnie's tank... but who's really keeping track? :p

Yup. The fire anemone and the mantis are both in there.

I've watched the mantis crawl right over the fire anemone and not even flinch.

The little 5.5 gallon has now been renamed the "Tank of DOOOOOM". $10 to whoever closes their eyes and holds their hand in there for 1 full minute. $20 if you hold a fistful of mysis.

I got them from Er1c. I certainly don't regret the purchase, they are amazing and very unique. That said, I know there's a bit of a socal market cartel on colorful s.tapetums... :p

Always has been. Been trying to break into it for awhile now and have a handful of them.

Just give it a bit more time as a batch of these finally made it up north via another shipment. ;)

Back