Kessil

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Joost_ said:
xcaret said:
gimmito said:
Leave it to Mark to put his stamp on the subject. :D

...and you wonder how this thread got to 100 pages !

...and still no water :D

Will Joost be able to turn around "laps" in the inaugural dive?
Oh, and important to ask too, having a 1000 post count and the Giants on top, Are you shooting for 2000 post count and no water?
The tank is like 2' short at 6' long so guess I'll have to use my fold in half skills I acquired from using the bus.

:D

On a side note I'm picking up a tunze 6100 or 6200 that I'll put in a tunze rock for the right corner and possibly a tunze wave box. I think I'll have around 30,000+ turnover rate in the tank.
Any advice on sand ? I was going to pickup a variety of sizes from Chris at Aquatic Collection #3-#5, mix in some live aragonite, & seed with a couple of cups from my RSM. Also, Jestersix recommended getting a bag of smooth coral rubble rock, anybody use it & know where to get it ?

CAS was getting some rubble out of the big tank and giving it away, maybe contacting Rich or Matt to check if they still have some up for grabs?

I regretted putting sand into my acrylic tank. Really difficult to keep the lower part of the acrylic clear of algae without accidentally getting a grain or two of sand embedded in the magnetic cleaner and adding new scratches to the viewing surfaces. And my tank is only 5' by 2' by 2'.

99sf said:
I regretted putting sand into my acrylic tank. Really difficult to keep the lower part of the acrylic clear of algae without accidentally getting a grain or two of sand embedded in the magnetic cleaner and adding new scratches to the viewing surfaces. And my tank is only 5' by 2' by 2'.

What size sand are you using Christina ?

gimmito said:
Joost_ said:
Also, Jestersix recommended getting a bag of smooth coral rubble rock, anybody use it & know where to get it ?
Calcium reactor media (the coral skeleton kind) ;)

I think it's suppose to be smooth somehow and not like calcium reactor media.

Can you elaborate Jestersix ?
I actually added some to my own tank recently and got mine from CAS. I don't think they have any left though, I haven't seen any recently that is. Try contacting Matt though instead of Rich since Matt was the one in charge. The rubble is very smooth, not the typical calcium reactor media. I know Sanjay uses it in his tanks so maybe ask him what kind he uses?

I've seen the rubble rock that Sanjay uses, and I believe it is similiar to calcium reactor media. I'll shoot Jestersix a pm to find out exactly what it is. How's it working out for you ?

gimmito said:
On a side note I'm picking up a tunze 6100 or 6200 that I'll put in a tunze rock for the right corner and possibly a tunze wave box. I think I'll have around 30,000+ turnover rate in the tank.
Any advice on sand ? I was going to pickup a variety of sizes from Chris at Aquatic Collection #3-#5, mix in some live aragonite, & seed with a couple of cups from my RSM. Also, Jestersix recommended getting a bag of smooth coral rubble rock, anybody use it & know where to get it ?
I have a lot of leftover rubble. (dry)
Some of it is fairly smooth, some not.
What size?

I would say an 1" or so on average. I'll be at Aquatic Collections on Friday around 5:30 to pickup some tunzes from a buddy. LMK if your available to checkout the rubble.

See what happenes when you have been in the hobby a LONG time? Seems they don't import it anymore, some issue with CITES somehow. I've had some I picked up from a few different places but doesn't seem to be any vendors still selling this.

EDIT: After checking with some old timers, a buddy told me that Two Little Fishies ReBorn media is the same stuff - you might wanrt to check that out!

gimmito said:
xcaret said:
CAS was getting some rubble out of the big tank and giving it away, maybe contacting Rich or Matt to check if they still have some up for grabs?

As long as I don't have to go scuba diving for it.

Material was being taken out from the shallow clam area so you'd need your red Speedo suit only.

jestersix said:
See what happenes when you have been in the hobby a LONG time? Seems they don't import it anymore, some issue with CITES somehow. I've had some I picked up from a few different places but doesn't seem to be any vendors still selling this.

EDIT: After checking with some old timers, a buddy told me that Two Little Fishies ReBorn media is the same stuff - you might wanrt to check that out!

Thanks Johnny for looking. :)

xcaret said:
gimmito said:
xcaret said:

As long as I don't have to go scuba diving for it.

Material was being taken out from the shallow clam area so you'd need your red Speedo suit only.

That my friend is a bad look no matter who's wearing it. ;)

gimmito said:
I've seen the rubble rock that Sanjay uses, and I believe it is similiar to calcium reactor media. I'll shoot Jestersix a pm to find out exactly what it is. How's it working out for you ?
I'm using a really thin layer on top of my sand bed, before I had trouble with the mp40 over 70% but now I can put the mp40 on full blast without a sand storm.

Joost_ said:
gimmito said:
I'm using a really thin layer on top of my sand bed, before I had trouble with the mp40 over 70% but now I can put the mp40 on full blast without a sand storm.
8)

Back