got ethical husbandry?

glee's tank journal

I said I wasnt going to do SPS @iCon @xcaret during the last swap but I lied lol. Starting to get the itch again and added a couple of Montis from @Bruce Spiegelman. Forest Fire Digi and Tubbs Stella are looking good Thanks Bruce! I dont plan to add too much more but will stick with Montis to fill in the gaps in my tank. German Blue Digi? Green Digi? Looking for hammers, torches, gonioporas, goniastreas.

Fill in gaps? Could solve this real quickly for you :D LMK

Thanks Mike! I searched Felicia's postings but the title of the thread threw me off. Looks like you participated in this event. Do you think Vitachem, Garlic Extreme, and Selcon help?
Yup, that's why I referenced it to you. Was fairly straight forward, put everything into a bowl, then throw it in a mini Cuisinart (that I think was the clubs), and turn it into a nasty paste, put in a bag lay it flat in the freezer and accidentally take someone else's bag home :D
As to that other stuff, I dunno. I'm on the fence as to whether or not garlic actually helps with anything, and the other things are just to get more nutrition in it, I just threw stuff in a bowl when I did it and didn't really think why too much.

FYI: We plan to do the fish-food-party thing again this year.

I was there. Skipped the Garlic. No idea if the other things helped. Tank liked it in general though.
Fun to make a big mess. ... So of course I volunteered my place for this year. ???

** Save your leftover blister packs!
If you get frozen food in the pop out squares, save the plastic.
I poured the goo into those, froze it up, and it was very convenient that way.

Took some PAR readings and found it to be quite useful. I installed greenhouse panels on top of my display tank in Nov 2018. It really cut back on evaporation but I was concerned it would also cut back on light output. I found that the greenhouse panels reduced PAR by about 20-50 so not bad because I was still getting 450 PAR toward the top middle where my chalices are located and around 120 PAR at the sandbed. My blue channel is at 95% and white channel is at 50%.

Did a 20g water change, cleaned skimmer cup, installed UV Sterlizer, moved some frags from frag tank to display, fragged ORA Kelly Green Psammo and Pulsing Sinularia. I'll post some pics later when all the lights come on.

What lights are you running again?
I run two of these inside my canopy. Everything rusts in there so I decided not to invest in something expensive. I replace them about every 3-4 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UMXAR5S/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to refurb the canopy. The wood sitting on the frame of my tank is rotting. The hinges are all rusted too. I'm hoping to get some help from my cousin this summer to get that project started.

FYI: We plan to do the fish-food-party thing again this year.

I was there. Skipped the Garlic. No idea if the other things helped. Tank liked it in general though.
Fun to make a big mess. ... So of course I volunteered my place for this year. ???

** Save your leftover blister packs!
If you get frozen food in the pop out squares, save the plastic.
I poured the goo into those, froze it up, and it was very convenient that way.

You can also use eggcrate plastic; big enough to fit in a gallon freezer bag.
Lay the eggcrate on top of plastic wrap
Pour the mixture and level it to the eggcrate
Wrap the plastic over and place it in the freezer-bag

Ikea sells some silicone ice molds but are bigger than the blister packs we are used to.

Yes, I bought these and cut to size. There are ridges and gaps but a lot of water collects on the panel. I shake off the water back to the tank each night when I feed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202091947-_-206166246-_-N
AH ok, I was thinking something like an insulating greenhouse panel, similar to this
https://www.interstateplastics.com/Polycarbonate-Twinwall-Clear-Sheet-POLCE~~SW.php?kitoptionpk=197

Which would probably block more light, but also insulate a bit more.

Couple of top down gopro shots of my zoas.
GOPR0624.JPG
GOPR0649.JPG

I meant to post this sooner but have been pre-occupied with other distractions. I woke up Sunday morning to see that my purple hammer had brown jelly on it. This is my first time seeing it in person but since I've read about it before, I had no doubt what it was. I immediately filled a large tupperware with tank water and grabbed the hammer out. I realized immediately that I should have turned off the pumps as soon as I saw the brown jelly float away in the current. Lesson learned....It's a three headed hammer and only one hammer had the jelly. I cut that branch off in to the tupperware and placed the other two heads back in the tank. Everything looks fine for now.

Frag swap haul
Oompa Loompa zoa. Fat single head polyp.
Gold Hammer. Cant get enough hammers.
Chong Bong zoa and bonus Purple Death Paly. These chong bongs look nicer than the ones I have.
German Blue Digi. Found this on the last round.
Watermelon Mushroom. My son picked this up because he liked the name of it.
LA Lakers Monti. It's greenish lol but Ive been adding montis.
White and Green Yuma. Will look nice next to my 10 year old Orange Yuma
Mummy Eye Chalice (Galaxy Tabling). Yay more chalices
Purple Haze Monti. Found this in the last round.
Blue and Green Maxi Mini. This one is a beauty.
Tropic Thunder Monti. My first pick. I will make a DBTC to spread this around.

Back