Cali Kid Corals

lhuynh's 750 Red Sea Reefer XXL

Just some photos of some frags I acquired from a mixed frag pack.

YRA Frags.JPG
YRA Frags 2.JPG

@nly04 I didn't go all the way. I ordered online, and they shipped for free. I wanted to support quasi-local and was looking for a cheap frag pack to get started, as this is my first foray into corals.

Some new pictures.

Done a number of things. I certainly can tidy it all up, but it's nice to have some of this set up.

Set up ATO with kalk in the laundry room to feed through the wall to the sump, which has been great. Still fiddling though with the siphon break not always working properly after I refill the reservoir. Bought a solenoid valve to possibly install. Also have lines for automatic water change using DOS, which has been so nice.

IMG_1624.JPG

RO/DI setup to feed both NSW reservoir and ATO reservoir.

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

Completely redid my aquascape to make it much more sparse, as I took to heart the idea of thinking where you want to go and know that corals will hopefully fill up the space. Ignore some of the rocks just siting on shelfs and in corners. Just moving some of those around, like the rock on the shelf on the left side. I didn't feel like taking it down. I don't want that there long term.

Also, the AI Hydra light mounts that came with the tank weren't my favorite, so I was going to buy new light mounts. Once I started adding up the costs of new mounts, I ended up going a different route and getting the Aquatic Life X18 hybrid fixture. Figured that will be enough light no matter what direction I go.

T5 only
IMG_1627.JPG

LED only
IMG_1629.JPG

T5+LED
IMG_1623.JPG

OK, so I decided to jump into dosing nitrates and possibly phosphates. I was starting to be stumped by no coralline growing. My nitrates were undetectable, so I let skimmer overflow and started dosing sodium nitrate at 2ppm for the last 4 days. Slowly the nitrate level is now 2ppm.

Nitrate 2ppm
Phosphate has been .02-.04
Ca 470
Alk 8.6

Now there's brown algae coming back. What is this? I was aiming for nitrate at 2-5ppm and phosphate from .02-.1. Does that make sense?

IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1803.jpeg
IMG_1804.jpeg
IMG_1805.jpeg

OK, after months with stable parameters (NO3 2-5ppm, PO3 .03-.08, Alk 7.5ish, pH 8.3, Ca 395, Mg in acceptable range, ICP tests confirm nothing out of whack) and not much positive to show for it, I decided to have someone look at things under a microscope. Thanks to @IOnceWasLegend for taking a look.

Looks like dinos. My view is I'm glad I know now.

Here's the display tank sample:

IMG_2295.JPG

Per his visual ID, it looks to Ostreopsis dinos.

In the QT tank, here's the photo:

IMG_2296.JPG

IOnceWasLegend believes this to be small-cell amphidinium.

Recommendation is UV. I have a Reefer 750, so should I go with a 57 watt Aqua UV? Still need to figure out how I'll plumb it (using return pump, flow from overflow, or its own pump) but curious what others think.

Then in the Biocube 32, would a 9w Green Killing Machine work? Need something that would hopefully fit in the various compartments, since I use the OEM hood and lights. I looked at the UV Coralife has for the Biocube, and it's only 5w. Not sure that's enough here.

TIA for any thoughts or recs from folks.

OK, after months with stable parameters (NO3 2-5ppm, PO3 .03-.08, Alk 7.5ish, pH 8.3, Ca 395, Mg in acceptable range, ICP tests confirm nothing out of whack) and not much positive to show for it, I decided to have someone look at things under a microscope. Thanks to @IOnceWasLegend for taking a look.

Looks like dinos. My view is I'm glad I know now.

Here's the display tank sample:

View attachment 23328

Per his visual ID, it looks to Ostreopsis dinos.

In the QT tank, here's the photo:

View attachment 23329

IOnceWasLegend believes this to be small-cell amphidinium.

Recommendation is UV. I have a Reefer 750, so should I go with a 57 watt Aqua UV? Still need to figure out how I'll plumb it (using return pump, flow from overflow, or its own pump) but curious what others think.

Then in the Biocube 32, would a 9w Green Killing Machine work? Need something that would hopefully fit in the various compartments, since I use the OEM hood and lights. I looked at the UV Coralife has for the Biocube, and it's only 5w. Not sure that's enough here.

TIA for any thoughts or recs from folks.
I know coralife (biocube) makes a uv that fits between the return pump and outlet.

I’m running 25W on a RSR250 -- 1/3 the size tank you have. The sterilizer's dedicated pump is rated at 1000 gph. After plumbing down-steps it cycles at 500 gph. So--25W at 500GPH. It's working well and for a year now. I also added UV because of dinos.

I clamped the sterilizer upside-down inside of the cabinet. It makes a nice short and clean loop. You no doubt have a lot more room for install options.

IMG_9937.jpg

(The pic says "500 GPH pump". It's a 1000 GPH pump that has flow measured at 500 GPH.)

I use the green killing machine if I get cloudy water from a bloom, and I originally got it for what I thought was dinos. It may have been diatoms.

Whatever it was I got rid of it with at attack of getting nitrates to be detectable, running the green killing machine, and a 48hr blackout.

Let me know if you’d like any measurements from the green killing machine to see if it’ll fit in the back chambers.

Thanks @max_nano. Reading around, folks have been able to fit it in the first chamber. I feel comfortable just grabbing one from the nearby Petco.

Now for the main tank, I think I've settled on going with a Lifegard 55w (though I'm not ruling out Aqua UV 57w), but I doubt I trust my ability to plumb this all properly. I don't mind paying someone to help me figure this all out and installing. Any suggestions?

Thanks @max_nano. Reading around, folks have been able to fit it in the first chamber. I feel comfortable just grabbing one from the nearby Petco.

Now for the main tank, I think I've settled on going with a Lifegard 55w (though I'm not ruling out Aqua UV 57w), but I doubt I trust my ability to plumb this all properly. I don't mind paying someone to help me figure this all out and installing. Any suggestions?
+1 to having someone experienced like coral reefer help you. Good plan, design and installation will go a long way.

Back