Jestersix

Meshmez's IM EXT 112

Meshmez

Supporting Member
This is not only the start of a new tank, but hopefully the resurrection of my time in the hobby. I posted previously about my recent reef keeping woes and I decided what I needed was a new start rather than a restart.

So I ordered an Innovative Marine EXT 112 with APS stand! Originally this wasn't supposed to ship until the end of January, but as of today, ITS HERE! My 150 is still setup and running, so I will take a little time to get the 112 set up and things moved over, but I figured I would start the build thread at ground zero.
20211227_135431.jpg
20211227_135445.jpg
20211227_135622.jpg
20211227_135722.jpg
20211227_135713.jpg

From what I see of it in the crate, the tank looks beautiful! Can't wait to start figuring out an aquascape!

That feeling of a fresh tank and a blank canvas to create a new aquascape! Following along to see what you come up with for these unique dimensions.

Yep, comes with the top. Bought direct from IM, yes they are 10% off right now +$200 top shelf aquatics gift card!
waiting for my 100ext without stand ordered from IM.

I asked IM about the screen. Here's their reply:

the EXT models do not include a mesh screen top. Given that most light brackets mount directly to the backwall of an aquarium, the EXT model would not allow the proper spacing for a lid.

waiting for my 100ext without stand ordered from IM.

I asked IM about the screen. Here's their reply:

the EXT models do not include a mesh screen top. Given that most light brackets mount directly to the backwall of an aquarium, the EXT model would not allow the proper spacing for a lid.
EXT 100 is not eurobraced, the 112 is. I guess they assume if you have a eurobrace all the way around you have another plan for lighting?

The EXT 150, 170 and 200 all look to be eurobraced and come with screen as well.

Last edited:
Needed a new sump that would fit in the stand, so I ordered a Fiji Cube 30 Advanced Reef Sump. Seemed to be the most bang for the buck, in a size that would fit. Looks like a decently built sump! Leaving it wrapped for now since I'm not ready to install, though I guess I should probably leak test it..
20211229_130149.jpg
20211229_130134.jpg

Looking for suggestions on lighting. The tank footprint is approximately 36"x36" and 20" deep. Ideally I'd probably use 4 smaller lights in a square (xr15s for example) but I have 3 xr30s on my current tank that I would rather not replace. I also have 1 xr15 I could throw in the mix if it made sense.

I'm planning to do softie/lps to start, but I'm sure at some point I'll be back to adding SPS for a mixed reef, so I want to be able to support the whole range of lighting.

Thinking maybe an xr30 parallel to each viewing panel in a U shape? Probably overkill, but I'm not sure just 2 would give good enough coverage. And I already have the lights... Or maybe an xr30 along the sides and the xr15 in front?

Well, a little disappointed here. Finally got the time to put my stand together. Got halfway though, and realized the stand doesn't have doors on the sides. This is something I confirmed the stand had with IM before placing my order.

So I guess I have to wait till Monday to get a response from them on how to proceed. o_O

Back