Our mission

My 170g cube

This doesn't mean much since i just changed things yesterday but you can see where I replaced one of the media canisters on the 8th and how much the oh rose after then the climb again yesterday after diverted the inlet to the Skimmer cup.

I need to install a skimmate collection jug at some point, just don't have anymore room under the stand (downside to having a cube).

409dce2f36df6c011f9fb84d3f8992f0.jpg

Shades of fall acro needs to stop encrusting and start growing in height.
f542683784cea2f101b9dc6f9891a888.jpg
In the past I experimented a bit with crustation patern.
I noticed when po4 is bit high, the sps encrust on the rocks more than vertically. But when po4 is super low it go vertically. I even started judging my po4 trend based on the coral growth pattern.
Not this is by no mean scientific..only personal experimce.

Also this is assuming the issue is not flow..some spa expand horizontally when flow is too high other sps like stags do the exact opposite. The more the flow the thicker vertically they become. Or like red dragon, the more the flow the more branches they creat..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve heard this a bit different, that you should have your air intake for the skimmer come from your CO2 scrubber, with the idea that CO2 depleted air (high pH) will be dissolving into your tank water more efficiently.

Skimmers don’t actively deplete CO2, though if you have a semi-closed loop of air from your skimmer cup into CO2 scrubber feeding your skimmer then going back into the CO2 scrubber, you won’t go through media as fast because you won’t be scrubbing as much CO2 (less effective). You also won’t be exchanging O2 as well in the skimmer.
I connect co2 scrubber to my bk inlet(they have an access for ozone coupling) it work like a charm. Ph never lower than 8. While before that ph dow to 7.7 at night.

Without the CO2 scrubber, my ph is around 7.8

I've gone through about 75% of a 5gal jug of media in the last year. I'm hoping this setup stretches that out a little longer.

Without the CO2 scrubber, my ph is around 7.8

I've gone through about 75% of a 5gal jug of media in the last year. I'm hoping this setup stretches that out a little longer.
Hmm, if the scrubber is working you should see the effect the same day you connect the scrubber...
This is my scrubber setting. The reactor that have the media and there is a line that connect the reactor to the skimmer air inlet..hard to see it in the pic
36b6b880ee0443a5b8378d2451fc603d.jpg

I replaced some of the media the same day I hooked it up so there is a definite change in ph, how long the media lasts will be the true test of the closed loop efficiency.

I replaced some of the media the same day I hooked it up so there is a definite change in ph, how long the media lasts will be the true test of the closed loop efficiency.
Got it.
Mine need to be changed once a month. At my old home isnised to change it once every 2 weeks.
Am sure u know the media life depend on how much co2 you have... I like using the brs one cause it change color so I know when to change it

Yeah. Pretty small house with 3 people, 2 cats, dogs, birds. Doesn't help that I have obnoxious neighbors and a crappy part of a crappy town so my windows are closed most of the time.

Yeah. Pretty small house with 3 people, 2 cats, dogs, birds. Doesn't help that I have obnoxious neighbors and a crappy part of a crappy town so my windows are closed most of the time.
Ouch..yeh you look like a good case for co2 scrubber lol.
I used to live in a 2 bedroom, 2 dogs, 2 cats nit much windows open cause my wife hates cold ha ha. Changed the media like every other week.

One added benefit of having the scrubber intake come from the Skimmer is moist air makes the media last a lot longer. Not a sign of purple on the color changing media where one cannister would normally have been a third to half consumed by now. Granted, I wasn't taking proper steps to make sure the air was moist, I just added some rodi to the bottom of the canisters each time but that evaporates after a day or two.

One added benefit of having the scrubber intake come from the Skimmer is moist air makes the media last a lot longer. Not a sign of purple on the color changing media where one cannister would normally have been a third to half consumed by now. Granted, I wasn't taking proper steps to make sure the air was moist, I just added some rodi to the bottom of the canisters each time but that evaporates after a day or two.
Hmm am confused. The way the scrubber should be used is to connect the scrubber output to the skimmer input... so am confused when you say scrubber intake comes from skimmer it should be the other way around..no?
The scrubber media should not get wet btw...that's my understanding at least.

Hmm am confused. The way the scrubber should be used is to connect the scrubber output to the skimmer input... so am confused when you say scrubber intake comes from skimmer it should be the other way around..no?
The scrubber media should not get wet btw...that's my understanding at least.

The scrubber intake is now pulling air from the Skimmer collection cup.

Air goes into the scrubber then into the Skimmer then back into the scrubber and so on. Only time the scrubber pulls room air is when the pH is over a certain level

The scrubber intake is now pulling air from the Skimmer collection cup.

Air goes into the scrubber then into the Skimmer then back into the scrubber and so on. Only time the scrubber pulls room air is when the pH is over a certain level
Oooh I got it...
Just be careful media should not get wet. Its actually bad if it get wet...or so they say:))

Not quite a week since I changed the CO2 scrubber setup but I'm not seeing any color change in the media. I would normally be replacing one of the canisters by now.

Here is ph tracking since the change. We had a house guest for a few days and that had an impact on ph.

033d0debba223c0f39c29817e602dfc1.jpg

Back