Reef nutrition

Arin's Reefer-S 850 Build

I wasn’t going to run any power through the wall. Just the ATO (technically this will have the tunze pumps power but that’s just 12 gauge) AWC hoses, dosing lines and a single aquabus so I could connect some apex modules.

All in that’s about 4 RODI lines, ATO and a single usb cable.

The power I was just going to plug into an EB832 in the cabinet.

I’m pretty sure I have a couple brush plates. Maybe I’ll put one just in case or get that giant thing linked above.

Hmmmm

Yeah, my sump area was awful before we did the separate electronics closet. I would at least plan for a tunnel location so you can add it later. Big tanks, have a huge number of outlets required.

Yeah, my sump area was awful before we did the separate electronics closet. I would at least plan for a tunnel location so you can add it later. Big tanks, have a huge number of outlets required.
How ok are folks with running power through a wall? I try to avoid it

Is one way.

We drilled a hole and inserted a pvc pipe.
I just ordered a couple 2 gang brush plates. Also this finally gives me reason to buy a DeWalt Oscillating Multi-Tool. :p

How ok are folks with running power through a wall? I try to avoid it
What is your reason for avoiding it? My only reason would be not wanting to put a hole in the wall. I don't see any issue with running a cord through otherwise. Assuming of course we're talking a straight passthrough.

Okee dokee. Two 2 gang brush plates installed. I couldn’t center them with the grommets due to the stud location but it’ll do

10350C06-AF2F-44B7-8080-7A08DA91F9E0.jpeg

Don't want to rain on your parade but you might want to repaint that wall. Flat paint will not stand the test of time especially sitting behind a large tank like the one you will be setting up. I use Kelly Moore's Dura Poxy in an eggshell sheen. My breakfast nook/storage is also painted with dura poxy. It's super durable and easy to clean...kid tested. It's a bit pricey but worth it imo. Just bring your paint code in and they will formulate the exact same color for you. I don't like glossy wall paint so eggshell is a good compromise..just stay away from flat.

Don't want to rain on your parade but you might want to repaint that wall. Flat paint will not stand the test of time especially sitting behind a large tank like the one you will be setting up. I use Kelly Moore's Dura Poxy in an eggshell sheen. My breakfast nook/storage is also painted with dura poxy. It's super durable and easy to clean...kid tested. It's a bit pricey but worth it imo. Just bring your paint code in and they will formulate the exact same color for you. I don't like glossy wall paint so eggshell is a good compromise..just stay away from flat.
Eh I didn’t even think of that. How bad is it if I leave it flat?

If I repaint it could I just do that one wall?

Eh I didn’t even think of that. How bad is it if I leave it flat?

If I repaint it could I just do that one wall?
Didn't realize your entire room was that color. I'd paint the wall behind the tank for sure. It's inevitable that you will get water on it. Maybe the different sheen might not look that bad since it's that same color...idk. Worse case scenario, you can paint the rest of the room down the line if you can't live with the different sheen. Another consideration is to paint the wall a nice contrast color to the blue?

Didn't realize your entire room was that color. I'd paint the wall behind the tank for sure. It's inevitable that you will get water on it. Maybe the different sheen might not look that bad since it's that same color...idk. Worse case scenario, you can paint the rest of the room down the line if you can't live with the different sheen. Another consideration is to paint the wall a nice contrast color to the blue?
Painters coming tomorrow lol

Bought the exact base you recommended. I’m gonna do the whole room as my kids’ fingerprints and junk on the matte has been more annoying than I anticipated… reef tank concerns aside

Last edited:
Alrighty - so on Monday @Apon @Coral reefer @H2OPlayar @nanoguy & @Vincerama2 were kind enough to swing by the house and help me get the tank onto the stand.

IMG_5015.jpeg

Huge "thank you" goes out to those guys for being super generous with their time and helping me out. 100% couldn't have done it without them.

I have a concurrent bathroom remodel going on so things have been a bit slow going. However, I was finally able to get the whole thing leveled this evening after getting a couple power strips plugged into the outlet smack behind the tank.

On the topic of power: the outlet being the tank is sharing a 15 amp circuit with the garage - not really much going on there besides a few outlets that are seldom used & the garage's LEDs.
I also have a dedicate 20 amp circuit for the tank that I got put in a few years ago - bummer is that circuit is powering an outlet that's about 12 feet away... my choices seem to be either a) run a 20 amp extension 2) use 2 13 amp extensions or 3) run some Romex in the white thing (essentially make my own version of a wall mounted TV power kit).

I dunno - we'll see. A single extension would be the easiest & fastest but Romex approach would cleaner.

Anyways - I'm gonna leave things be for a couple days and make sure I don't have an "ah ha" (or an "oh s**t") moment and realize I need to move things over.
Once I'm confident this placement is "right" I'm off to:
  1. finish the stand (doors, floors, couple support braces)
  2. get the sump & plumbing in
  3. mount the lights
  4. figure out where the UV will go
  5. finalize the power situation
At that point the "install" will be ready and I'll move on to the "setup" phase (aquascape, hardware etc... the fun stuff)

Alright - so turns out Powerbridge actually sells extension cables & you're not limited to the 6ft length that's included in their kits, So, I just bought a One-CK kit along with an extension. So after some drywall cutting & wire fishing I'll be up to code and have a clean install. win/win

It seems like the power bridge is just an in wall extension cord? Why not just run Romex in the wall from the current outlet to wherever you want the new one?

FYI, extension cords in the wall are not code compliant. Powerwall gets away with it with special fire rated cables or something (it's been a while since I looked at them).

Back