Cali Kid Corals

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

That is 130 Ah at 120V, so technically correct, but misleading.
Better is to say it needs 14 KWh.

A tesla powerwall 2 is 13 KWh, so close enough.
That is about $7,000.
But you also need quite a bit of extra equipment, plus installation.
So you are looking closer to $12,000.

Going DIY:
A standard good LiFePO4 battery, like I added to my camper, is 100Ah at 12V, at about $700.
You would need 12 of those to run that heater for 2 days.
Plus a simple inverter/charger.
So around $9,000.

Alternatives:
1) Solar hot water heater.
Solar heating panels + large hot water tank.
You store energy as very hot water in an insulated tank, not electricity in batteries.
Harder to control, but WAY cheaper.
2) Gas heater
Small on demand heater.
3) Generator

Note that #1 and #2 would need battery backup also, but only for controls and pumps, not heat.
Mmmmmmm. Powerwall.

698B46D1-9EE8-4E13-8B84-1FE11716581C.jpeg

neros table and pink lemonade really growing!

Did some maintenance today. Replaced one of the 57w uv bulbs and upon turning it on it looks way less bright than the old bulb. I know we don’t necessarily see all the light they put out, but I wonder if it’s not good. Guess I’ll change the other and see how it looks...
Also did some testing and changed out my 1l of rowaphos and put carbon in with it to pack the reactor full.
alk 8.15
Ca 390-400
Nitrate 5-10, closer to 5 I think
Phosphate .31
I’ve been target feeding the frag tanks weekly and Ive noticed the phosphate changes a lot throughout the week. Been trying to do more testing before the feeding and various times within 48 hours afterwards to confirm what I’m seeing. Pre feeding two weeks ago was .16, then phosphate was .3 something when I tested 24 hours later.
I did not test last week.
Yesterday before feeding I measured.31 so Today I changed my rowaphos rather than testing again since it hasn’t come back down like I want it to and it had been exactly a month since I last changed it.
I would rather even out the level and should probably switch to doing one of the tanks at a time every other day, but that seems less convenient for me. Hmmmm

4825D6E7-F806-416F-8F7B-41FD4F91D0EF.jpeg

Last edited:
That is 130 Ah at 120V, so technically correct, but misleading.
Better is to say it needs 14 KWh.

A tesla powerwall 2 is 13 KWh, so close enough.
That is about $7,000.
But you also need quite a bit of extra equipment, plus installation.
So you are looking closer to $12,000.

Going DIY:
A standard good LiFePO4 battery, like I added to my camper, is 100Ah at 12V, at about $700.
You would need 12 of those to run that heater for 2 days.
Plus a simple inverter/charger.
So around $9,000.

Alternatives:
1) Solar hot water heater.
Solar heating panels + large hot water tank.
You store energy as very hot water in an insulated tank, not electricity in batteries.
Harder to control, but WAY cheaper.
2) Gas heater
Small on demand heater.
3) Generator

Note that #1 and #2 would need battery backup also, but only for controls and pumps, not heat.
Wow...that really puts it in perspective. I never really thought about how much power those power walls stored.

Wow...that really puts it in perspective. I never really thought about how much power those power walls stored.
I am very much considering getting power wall or sun vault. From what I hear the power wall stores a lot but can’t put out more than 30 amps at a time so most people have two. Not sure if I have that right. It I think so. The sun vault doesn’t have that limitation and I could get by with just one I think.

I am very much considering getting power wall or sun vault. From what I hear the power wall stores a lot but can’t put out more than 30 amps at a time so most people have two. Not sure if I have that right. It I think so. The sun vault doesn’t have that limitation and I could get by with just one I think.
I only have one powerwall as back up for my house and it doesn't seem to be an issue..The only thing that isn't backed up is my washer/dryer and AC units

Last edited:
I’ve been wanting the rainbow forever and that bambolina since she first shared a pic of it. Couldn’t pass again when she posted them for sale this time. Hadn’t heard of the wwc stellaria before, but it’s pretty cool. And I’m a sucker for hammers. Yellow/gold ones especially!
Hands down some of the best chalices you see at @Chromis!

Back