got ethical husbandry?

kessil

Mike, when you said you "grabbed one after the show" I thought you meant you bought one! Also "Worthwhile" gees, don't you phd types learn gooder engrish?

I thought LEDs would be more long lived as well, but considering MH is ONE YEAR before colour shift...it's good for the lazy man!

V

Vincerama2 said:
What is PWM? I'm assuming it's some kind of dimming or something?

V

Pulse Width Modulation. Yes, for dimming.

Basically, you turn the LED on/off really fast, like 500 Hz+, with a different amount of time
for the LED being on versus being off.
Your eye cannot see that changes fast, so averages them together to a general "brightness".
You get a really nice smooth transition from dark/dawn/noon/dusk/etc.
Many reef controllers can output those signals.

Ah gotcha. Why didn't you say so! Silly 3 letter acronyms! I was looking at that to control the heat of an electric motorcycle vest. I haven't ridden since the kids were born!

V

I was seriously eyeing the Kessils too. Also saw them at Neptunes over 1 of their tanks. and they look great. There are a lot of things to like, most of which were mentioned already; small size, very low power consumption, easy to hang/ mount/ move, quiet and nice color- both 15K & 20K I liked. I do wonder how powerful they are relative to other LED fixtures and how their PAR compares to other LED fixtures. I'm thinking about going with Kessills for my tank but I'm afraid I might need more than 3 to get sufficient PAR, so I'm still on the fence.

Yeah, I don't know how many I'd need for a 6 foot tank! Three at least! The good thing would be that adding one would only cost money, as you can just shift them around pretty simply I think.

V

They have a bigger one, but a different chip. I wouldn't doubt that they will do the reef chip version however, I think in general, the efforts are better used with optics and owners with more lamps rather than fewer more powerful ones.

rygh said:
I checked them out fairly carefully, and must say I rather liked them.
Color spectrum seems quite good - better than most, but still not "perfect" to someone really picky.
No color banding.
Build quality seemed very good.
Fan was totally quiet.
Nice small form factor.

Downsides:
No PWM control, so dawn/dusk is an issue.
With 30W in a single point, expect some spotting and shadows.

Definitely a lot better than most of the LED products out there!

Do realize you are posting in the Kessil sponsor forum, not the open forum? Respect, learn it and live it!

And I would much rather have a single source then 50 LEDS making my tank look like some RAVE or cartoon with all the colored shadows any day.

Coral reefer said:
Any body know if there are plans for a more powerful unit in the works from kessil?

http://www.facebook.com/Kessil.LED

Stroll down to April. and you do not have to have a FB account to view company pages like Kessils :D

GreshamH said:
rygh said:
I checked them out fairly carefully, and must say I rather liked them.
Color spectrum seems quite good - better than most, but still not "perfect" to someone really picky.
No color banding.
Build quality seemed very good.
Fan was totally quiet.
Nice small form factor.

Downsides:
No PWM control, so dawn/dusk is an issue.
With 30W in a single point, expect some spotting and shadows.

Definitely a lot better than most of the LED products out there!

Do realize you are posting in the Kessil sponsor forum, not the open forum? Respect, learn it and live it!

And I would much rather have a single source then 50 LEDS making my tank look like some RAVE or cartoon with all the colored shadows any day.

Gresh, I think you might have read his post too harsly. I don't see much negativity. In fact, most was praise. I do see 2 valid critical points which imo, are nothing more then a reasonable want which Kessil may or may not want to key in on.

Did a mod move the thread? Looks like aquarium/equipment forum to me.

Vincerama2 said:
Mike, when you said you "grabbed one after the show" I thought you meant you bought one! Also "Worthwhile" gees, don't you phd types learn gooder engrish?
Hey I beyond the 2 semesters of required english I didn't go any further, I could tell you exactly how an LED works though :D

GreshamH said:
I dislike the funky color banding effects as well.
But if you simply cluster the dissimilar colored LEDs together, that issue goes away, and you can have as many clusters as you want.

Hmmm... a rave tank! Awesome! You'd really need xenia in a rave tank though! Throw in a few pacifiers or whatever.

:)

I've been reading the other thread by Mark about LED colours. Ugh, I just want someone to tell me what the "answer" is ;)

V

Glad to see everyone at the show. Just wanted to comment on one thing for now and will catch up on more later.

Proprietary connector on the "standard laptop" adapter!!! - grrrr going the direction of EcoTech and charging $50 for something which costs $25? (assuming you don't know how to swap out power connectors )

The connection between the unit and the power supply is very common. I believe it is an E5, but I could be wrong. Please make sure if you use an alternative to the included power supply that it meets the requirements of the instruction manual.

It's the connection between the array and driver that is different. Both of which are housed inside the unit itself.

Vincerama2 said:
Hmmm... a rave tank! Awesome! You'd really need xenia in a rave tank though! Throw in a few pacifiers or whatever.

:)

I've been reading the other thread by Mark about LED colours. Ugh, I just want someone to tell me what the "answer" is ;)

V
Me too!
There are some similar threads on RC that I have been following.
You might want to check out this one:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885076
Tons of opinions. All a bit different.

My so-called answer was to make all the different colors programmable, so I can fiddle with it endlessly.

Product thought:
Have a version with a micro-controller, real time clock, USB port, and PWM control.
The customer could hook up the computer, and control the exact color they want,
plus off/dawn/on/dusk timing, and maybe even lunar.
Should only add about $15 or so to cost. Unfortunately a support mess.

Finally saw one today at aquatic central. Definitely impressed with how small it was! Hard to say exactly what the brightness was just at first glance and with all the other lights on everywhere, but I am more curious to see what 2-3 might be like over a 4x2x2...

sfsuphysics said:
Did a mod move the thread? Looks like aquarium/equipment forum to me.

Vincerama2 said:
Hey I beyond the 2 semesters of required english I didn't go any further, I could tell you exactly how an LED works though :D

Nope. I totally miss read the forum title. My point only had to do with the location, not the message, and I was absolutely out of line.

Coral reefer said:
Finally saw one today at aquatic central. Definitely impressed with how small it was! Hard to say exactly what the brightness was just at first glance and with all the other lights on everywhere, but I am more curious to see what 2-3 might be like over a 4x2x2...

If you make it down to Neptune I think their tank is closer to those dims.

I've got a spare 4x2x2 if some one has a few spare Kessils :D

I gotta say though, the Kessils look really professional. The form factor is really sleek. My lights will go under a canopy so I don't need that level of coolness, but I'm still considering them. I'm balancing cost/durability. The recurring cost of bulbs and higher electrical usage can't be ignored! However, having MH and LED are not mutually exclusive!

I'm glad we're past the early days of LEDs somewhat where it was like "Wow, check it out! An LED reef light, it's only $3000!"

I've given up on early adoption of tech. My $500 mp3 player (Creative Jukebox, 6.4Gb, 45 minute battery life) and my $900 3.1Mp point and shoot digital camera have taught me to wait. I might point out my $1000 1995 Motorola cell phone too, but I won't. Oops! ;) Good thing I'm not bitter!

V

Back