Neptune Aquatics

New Member Area/Introduce yourself thread

Hello I am Joyce,

In the past I have had a 50g, then moved into a 100g and the most recent was a 225g. I left the hobby for about a year and just could not stay away. Right now I am in the process of assembling and setting up a soon to be 75 gallon reef tank.
I am happy to become a BAR member and thank all the BAR reefers that I have had the pleasure to meet and the awesome corals from Arnold (apon).
Thanks.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=431.msg30333#msg30333 date=1200501971]
What does a physical chemist do? I have visions of muscle bound people lifting giant beakers.... :D
[/quote]

LOL. Far from muscle bound and I can't remember the last time I touched a beaker except to mix and pour dye into a dye laser. ..which leads into what I do: A lot of stuff with lasers :p

Lasers are FAR cooler then beakers anyways :) Sounds interesting (I love lasers)

Hehe... the Membership Coordinator thing is a work around so that I could have access to "help" on stuff that I have no clue about :D

Btw, Mr. Sponsor Sponsor... that means you're twice as good as any other sponsor, right? :D

Hey I asked for that to be removed, don't hassle me over it :p

reminds me, I need to check my profile :)

Hi-

My name is Gorm and some of you may or may not remember me from my limited time that I was active in the club a couple years back. Some of you may remember my phyto setup, homeade live rock or some of the electrical help I gave a couple of members. I am in the military, specifically the Coast Guard, and as of last week recently returned from a tour in the middle east. Bad news is, I lost alot of my tank during my time away, some stupid chaeto got in my main tank and took over, I removed 3, 5-gal buckets full of it. Pretty much everything died, with the exception of some zoos, a battle hardened maroon clown, (which is now over 3 years in my tank) and a green bubble tip anemone, which suprisingly has split several times. Found 2 of em in my sump. Anyway long story short, I hope to become active again as I restock my tank again, hopefully from generous donations. Anyway, if you remember me, or think ya do, say hi. Otherwise I hope to see you all at the swap.

Gorm

Hello BAR,
My name is Greg, your newest newbie. ;-) I live in Danville and have a 190g reef (w/ 50g sump/fuge) custom built by Gen at Kritter, cherry cabinet by Joe over at Angelos. I had a 125g reef many years ago (think undergravel filters and fake corals) and am now back into it knee deep. I have spent the past 18 months researching, planning, purchasing and all is going great so far - simply following the adage that good things don't happen quickly with reef tanks. I look forward to meeting many of you soon...
Happy New Year,
G
(ps-not sure if this will work, but picture of cabinet by Joe attached (hopefully))
Aquariumcabinetinstallation22may200.jpg

Greg,

That is the best and smartest approach to a very successful tank.

Two of the most important things not directly put in your tank that will have the biggest bearing are patience and persistence. Rushing in only kills your wallet, your livestock, and your confidence.

Time and time again you will see people jump in with both feet, overly excited about stocking their tank, only to see them gone shortly after.

Here is to a successful tank! [Insert smiley faces clinking beer mugs]

Hi Guys,

I'm way over on the other coast in new york city.
Since a few of your members have joined my local site, manhattanreeefs.com I thought it would be fitting if I reciprocated :)

I'm going to be in town the weekend of your swap and will be stopping by to say hello and to meet everyone.

My hobby experience in saltwater started in college in '86 with a 55 gallon "death tank" as I like to call it.
Crushed coral, undergravel filter, and a canister filter yikes. For livestock I had a nice aggressive mix, a lionfish, grouper, puffer fish, and pinktail trigger, with some awesome bleached acro skeletons for decoration.

After school in '93 I set up my first reef. it was pretty cool looking, I even have pics.
The only sketchy thing about it was a large amount grape calupera growing in it.
After a winter black out wiped out that tank I went back to a FOLR set up for a while.
I've had my present reef set up for about three years now. It's mostly acro's, but somehow some lps and even softies have managed to sneak their way into the tank.

This is a recent fts, the color looks funny because I have three bulbs over the tank now DE 12.5k, 14k, and a 20k
the tank is a 60" long 120G, it's 20" tall and 24"deep. I'm using two vortechs for flow. I use bionic for supplements with an aquamedic doser, the skimmer is a DASex2, and I also dose some of the fauna marin products. I like to keep the equipment simple so there's not much more than that under the hood.

fts_417663.jpg

I have two creative careers that I try to balance full time, I've been a photographer for about 20 years, and 6 years ago I began designing and making custom furniture. Basically I took my hobbies and made them careers. Not sure if it's something I'd recommend, but I like it ;D

I look forward to meeting some of you next week, I may be bringing some donations from our club :)

- Jonathan Hale

Back