Cali Kid Corals

Patrick's 81G - the last dance

Added an ATO container from Advanced Acrylics. Colorway went perfect with the rest of the equipment without being overbearing. I gotta say, the quality of their work is damn good and it got me trying to think up what else I can have made to match.
View attachment 61873View attachment 61874View attachment 61875
I originally planned on housing the container in the expansion box, but decided to keep it all electrical equipment and get a larger container. Only worry I had was the TV. We put it on an an actuator to lower it to eye level when watching from the couch, luckily everything clears. The video shows it lowering and how much clearance I have when it bottoms out.

The tunze ato tubing will have to stick out from the lid, but the kalk line can be routed to the JG fitting I had installed on the top.
View attachment 61876
View attachment 61877
Nice! Last year I dropped my tv several feet as well to eye level found that sweet spot..Such a difference!! No more bent necks lol

With your current clean setup, imagine how you'd feel if you got an acrylic and it starts getting all the scratches that are very very easy to get on acrylic. Your current setup looks good now, and will continue looking good longer than the acrylic version!

(my first reef tank back in the day was acrylic and I'm team glass now)

But with a little for thought we can even set it up for you, post pictures on forum, set it up in some ones garage, sad story about moving outta state, and you can bring her along to hear the price. Planned out in true enabler fashion.

With your current clean setup, imagine how you'd feel if you got an acrylic it starts getting all the scratches that are very very easy to get on acrylic. Your current setup looks good now, and will continue looking good longer than the acrylic version!

Enabling mode turned off, you have one of the cleanest setups I’ve ever seen. I don’t think it can get better than this. I’d have no regrets running with this setup and hope to achieve this level someday. I’ll agree with Richie here

It’s funny because months before I got my low boy, I had hit up John for a quote but he never replied lol. So I just got the low boy because I got tired waiting. It was always in the back of my head that I should’ve figured out how to get that acrylic tank. Then @SupraSaltyReefer came along and I ended up with the tank. It kinda sucks because I have to start over again essentially lol but I know in the end I’ll be happier. Just food for thought… still got time for that 25% off ;)
What's crazy is the lid I ordered for this glass tank is almost as much as swapping it out to an acrylic one from them! Kicking myself over that.

Hard to pass up a deal like that...especially when your on a forum full of enablers..haha

What's crazy is the lid I ordered for this glass tank is almost as much as swapping it out to an acrylic one from them! Kicking myself over that.

Hard to pass up a deal like that...especially when your on a forum full of enablers..haha
I'm all for enabling, but in your case I think the benefits of acrylic you're past. The main benefits are ease of moving, install, drilling, and possible cost versus low iron glass.

You've already gotten the glass version, it's drilled, and carried into place. Presumably it's low iron glass so almost as clear.

I think at this point it'd be all negatives versus what you have. Much much easier to scratch (can't even have some urchins), you'd need to build it out, and you'd need to move/sell the existing one.

You've got the best already!

Last edited:
I'm all for enabling, but in your case I don't think the benefits of acrylic you're past. The main benefits are ease of moving, install, drilling, and possible cost versus low iron glass.

You've already gotten the glass version, it's drilled, and carried into place. Presumably it's low iron glass so almost as clear.

I think at this point it'd be all negatives versus what you have. Much much easier to scratch (can't even have some urchins), you'd need to build it out, and you'd need to move/sell the existing one.

You've got the best already!
Oh I thought he was talking about getting a 2nd tank, not swaping current one, his set up is so dang awesome i wouldn't change anything at all. Its like a magzine cover and doesn't even have water yet.

Nice! Last year I dropped my tv several feet as well to eye level found that sweet spot..Such a difference!! No more bent necks lol
I used to get still necks when binge watching Netflix and got the mantle mount to lower the TV...your right, the difference is night and day..the soundbar sounds better, we can raise it back up when not watching, and no pain!

With all the ergo enhancements I've made at work and my home office, I'm surprised I didn't get one of these earlier.
With your current clean setup, imagine how you'd feel if you got an acrylic and it starts getting all the scratches that are very very easy to get on acrylic. Your current setup looks good now, and will continue looking good longer than the acrylic version!

That was my biggest fear with acrylic...scraping the coraline and hearing the blade dig into the pane..the first time this happened on my old TruVu, my previous neighbor called the police to do a "wellness" check on me and ensure there was no domestic violence going on..

All they found was an old Filipino lady (my mom) yelling at me to stop cussing...

You're right, my OCD wouldn't fare well with something like that again..

@richiev gave me the feedback I needed..if I didn't have the tank yet, I would have jumped on the deal right away and went acrylic...but I did forget some of my experiences with acrylic that I would find difficult to accept now..when it's difficult for me to clean, it gives me more reason to put it off..
This will be my first acrylic tank so I’m interested in seeing how it’ll go. I hear all the stories but I feel like it’s one of those things you have to personally experience to really understand. Maybe I’ll end up regretting it and going back to glass lol

This will be my first acrylic tank so I’m interested in seeing how it’ll go. I hear all the stories but I feel like it’s one of those things you have to personally experience to really understand. Maybe I’ll end up regretting it and going back to glass lol
Seeing the clarity when you fill it for the first time is unforgettable... But when you do scratch it, don't curse up a storm like the 16 year old me...I was broke and didn't buy the proper scrapers..working at Pacific Sunwear in 96-97 for $4.25/hr , I figured I'd save a couple bucks...big mistake on my part

Seeing the clarity when you fill it for the first time is unforgettable... But when you do scratch it, don't curse up a storm like the 16 year old me...I was broke and didn't buy the proper scrapers..working at Pacific Sunwear in 96-97 for $4.25/hr , I figured I'd save a couple bucks...big mistake on my part
Yeah, it's not that acrylic is bad, it's just not superior if you already have a glass one in place. There's a lot of nice benefits to acrylic in terms of setup and configurability; very nice to be able to move a 100 gallon tank with no effort or worry if you set it down wrong it's going to chip. It's also very clear.

You just need to be very very careful not to scratch it. It wouldn't be an awful idea to buy a small piece of acrylic from the local hardware store and run a scraper on it just to learn what you can or can't do. Also make sure you buy acrylic compatible scrapers (or use an old credit card), never let sand get caught in the scraper, and I'd be very careful with any cloth style scrapers.

It'll be great, and if it isn't you can always get another!

I've always wondered if some day they'll release a product similar to what F1 drivers use on their masks. A series of removable plastic covers where you just rip off the outer one and toss it, leaving you with a perfectly clear viewing area. Maybe install a new set every 6 months somehow. Alternatively a double pane glass style setup where the inner piece can be removed to be soaked in cytric acid. Has to be something that's doable beyond scraping inside the aquarium.

Just mentally prepare yourself for scratches, they are 100% inevitable. You can minimize the damage to hairline scratches that are generally difficult to see, if you're careful. Those aren't that big of a deal IMO. But keeping the glass clean regularly without scratching is the most annoying part of owning an acrylic tank.

Yeah, it's not that acrylic is bad, it's just not superior if you already have a glass one in place. There's a lot of nice benefits to acrylic in terms of setup and configurability; very nice to be able to move a 100 gallon tank with no effort or worry if you set it down wrong it's going to chip. It's also very clear.

You just need to be very very careful not to scratch it. It wouldn't be an awful idea to buy a small piece of acrylic from the local hardware store and run a scraper on it just to learn what you can or can't do. Also make sure you buy acrylic compatible scrapers (or use an old credit card), never let sand get caught in the scraper, and I'd be very careful with any cloth style scrapers.

It'll be great, and if it isn't you can always get another!

I've always wondered if some day they'll release a product similar to what F1 drivers use on their masks. A series of removable plastic covers where you just rip off the outer one and toss it, leaving you with a perfectly clear viewing area. Maybe install a new set every 6 months somehow. Alternatively a double pane glass style setup where the inner piece can be removed to be soaked in cytric acid. Has to be something that's doable beyond scraping inside the aquarium.
That's what public aquariums do for the back panel. Just rotate out an opaque blue or black background so you never have to scrape the back. Then just soak the other in citric acid.

Back