Our mission

For those interested in buying G2 Red Sea tanks

After seeing a few Red Sea tank seam failures and having done a few reseals of them (1 complete tear down and 2 front panel removal and reseal plus adding bottom bracing) my opinion is it's poor manufacturing control. The way the silicone peels away from the front pane so cleanly makes me believe that the Red Sea tanks that do end up failing had poor bonding prep and the front pane had some contaminants and weren't cleaned well enough which effected how well the silicone bonded to the glass. I don't believe that floating the front pane has anything to do with the issue. My current (Mike's old tank) Lee Mar 225g has a floating front pane. This Lee Mar has been running I believe 11+ years under Mike, about 2 now under me and who knows how many years before that as Mike picked it up used.

I've seen them burst mainly from the bottom seal but have seen some burst between the side pane and front pane too. Which makes me hesitant to say it's a stand issue. 3ft and 4ft models (I believe the most commonly reported failures) I feel like the bottom glass as long as supported on the edges and setup to be level has enough strength to resist bowing.

My concluding thoughts are that it's random and some Red Sea's are well built and will hold up fine and some are a ticking time bomb.

Back