Cali Kid Corals

Reef 3D printing request thread

I have something similar from VCA but mine broke lol. Wonder if your design would be stronger.
Yes. Because I deleted that useless piece. It doesn’t provide anything other than too much spring force on your hand.
Those long VCA are the ones I knocked off. They work ok. A lot flimsy

ETA: forgot to mention I have every single UV neon color in stock. Even that exact same color
IMG_0772.jpeg

Last edited:
also made these things. I really don’t think they work. I grow my itty bitty copes with black lava rock

ETA: these make great coffee table coasters if they don’t grow pods

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 14
Some robot grabber inspiration for you: https://www.squidgly.com/

Are you able to design and print something like that?
Tytyty. Fwiw anything can be designed. Whether it meets time budget or scope is another story.

This is an awesome design that looks like a robotic end effector designer made. And I hope it’s patented.

(I could easily design this)

Tytyty. Fwiw anything can be designed. Whether it meets time budget or scope is another story.

This is an awesome design that looks like a robotic end effector designer made. And I hope it’s patented.

(I could easily design this)
I was just checking this out as well and was like damn this thing is pretty cool. I like how they have all the replacement parts too.

Some robot grabber inspiration for you: https://www.squidgly.com/

Are you able to design and print something like that?
Those look super cool actually.

Regarding designing and printing, I think there's a gap between:

0. printing things based on found files that are free online, designing commonly produced things, and things people directly invent

And

100. Openly searching for unique things people are selling online and looking to get clones created and distributed (hopefully free, but maybe for profit too?)

There's somewhere between those a fine line, and copyright law is certainly gray, but I feel there is a line somewhere in there that's not ideal to cross. I say this as someone who offers up all his files free online. It takes a shocking amount of work to design things that work right, and it'd make me super sad of I designed something, people were interested enough to buy it so I created a site to go with it, and then a reef club became a source for clones of it.

That's kind of what happened with random flow generators. The originals were published free, then some people started taking the files and selling them, removing the watermarks, maybe slight tweaks, and now that original maker gave up on distributing things anymore.

I don't mean this passive aggressive at either of you, and everyone's got different lines in there, but as an open source maker I feel it needs to be discussed.

Last edited:
As a (multiple) patent holder. If you don’t take the time to protect your invention. Free game.

In sports it’s like punting the ball wrecklessley downfield, while you’re standing on the goal line.like, “hey. Anyone want a free point?”

Those look super cool actually.

Regarding designing and printing, I think there's a gap between:

0. printing things based on found files that are free online, designing commonly produced things, and things people directly invent

And

100. Openly searching for unique things people are selling online and looking to get clones created and disturbed (hopefully free, but maybe for profit too?)

There's somewhere between those a fine line, and copyright law is certainly gray, but I feel there is a line somewhere in there that's not ideal to cross. I say this as someone who offers up all his files free online. It takes a shocking amount of work to design things that work right, and it'd make me super sad of I designed something, people were interested enough to buy it so I created a site to go with it, and then a reef club became a source for clones of it.

That's kind of what happened with random flow generators. The originals were published free, then some people started taking the files and selling them, removing the watermarks, maybe slight tweaks, and now that original maker gave up on distributing things anymore.

I don't mean this passive aggressive at either of you, and everyone's got different lines in there, but as an open source maker I feel it needs to be discussed.
Btw. “Open source” is bullshit.

Not one startup I’ve ever worked for or consulted at has EVER made an original idea. It’s always a reskinned or repurposed open source Git repository

ETA. I’m also full of autism and spite. So take that fwiw

EETA: this has me riled. If you do know some history about AM, then you know how litigious Stratysus has been about the open source community encroaching on their design and utility patents on things like “wipe towers” or “hidden seams”

Last edited:
Legality isn’t the same as ethics or morals. All 3 are important. And all 3 have grey areas and legitimate differences of opinion. Patents don’t really protect against copying/stealing either for that matter. One person might draw the right/wrong line at whether or not there’s a patent. Another person may draw the line at what they can get away with. The next with what seems right to them or the community or their customers.

I’m not trying to pretend like I know the “right” answer. I’m just pointing out that saying there’s only 1 right answer is missing this perspective.

No. I’m autistic. It’s either one or the other. lol

I have worked for large companies that have patented everything under the sun to prevent people from breathing. Also for “trolls” that have legitimately had their patents stolen by Apple and forced into selling or forfeiting their patents from the sheer legal mountain.
Invention is something either you can continue to do, or you stand still and fight like hell with all the money in the world.

I appreciate others may have differing opinions, and my primary point is hoping to educate folks who aren't as familiar with the difficulties of producing these things as others.

I'm not going to engage further given the tone.

Edit: written as someone who also has officially accepted patents (this thread made me check the status of those ironically), has open sourced all his aquarium things (including the software and 3d design files for my alkalinity tester and software such as my previous free frag tracking website), and happily pays for files on sites like Etsy/Cults3d/... I will however now be going in and switching all my licenses to creative commons non commercial given this thread

Last edited:
If you can actually make a 24” version which is ridgid and durable enough I would also be interested. I imagine many folks would be.

I have some 24” rusty metal ones that I would love to replace.
This can definitely be done. (Back to joking; this u?)

I’m actually working on something similar to this on a med device. I’ll send you some renders in a couple days

Back