Jestersix

Reef 3D printing request thread

No guarantee anything will stick well, and the more you put in there that less it'll rest on the edge properly. However a bit of super glue and sticking something there probably will work.

My suggestion is leave it alone or print a new one with supports or a different orientation. Bonus points if you print a sliced piece of it first to make sure it prints well. If the waste in filament is expensive, ask for some money to offset. That's the perils of 3d printing and why people charge a couple times filament cost for prints (dealing with issues like this and waste).

I'm after a Kessil 350W light shade. I think this file will work with my model? I tried to buy the one off Chris Aquatics, but he doesn't ship to my address so I'm SOL buying one online. I also want one for a 150w, but can't find that anywhere (including a print file) anywhere. I'd prefer black filament if possible.

I'm after a Kessil 350W light shade. I think this file will work with my model? I tried to buy the one off Chris Aquatics, but he doesn't ship to my address so I'm SOL buying one online. I also want one for a 150w, but can't find that anywhere (including a print file) anywhere. I'd prefer black filament if possible.
These are a super easy print. I might have one laying around. I really need to fix my printer.

I'm looking for possibly getting two items printed.

1.) Mp 40 anemone gaurd - No file
* I could really use one of these for my mp40 to keep nems safe.

2.) Biocube 32 in tank media basket water diverter.
* I will need one of these in the near future so not as high on the list as the anemone gaurd.

Below is a link I found for one, it’s not the same type as the one i currently have for my main tank. So I'm not certain if this one would preform as well.

Below is the one I actually have now for comparsion. - the part the water flows from the end is different than one shown above.

inTank Media Basket Water Director for Oceanic & Coralife BioCube 29 and LED BioCube 32 https://a.co/d/66NyUUU

I'm not fully sure on the cost associateed printing things like this or if it's just cheaper to get them from Amazon.

If it's possible and worth printing them considering time, effort, and matérials verse the cost of buying one online please let me know.

I will be at the up coming CFM on the Saturday.

I’m curious what kind of printers you guys have? Im looking into getting into that hobby. I keep finding things I want to the point where I might as well get my own but I’d have to look into the learning curve of 3D printing. Is the hard part designing the files? If there is a file already made, is it as easy as just hitting print and the machine will do it?

I'm looking for possibly getting two items printed.

1.) Mp 40 anemone gaurd - No file
* I could really use one of these for my mp40 to keep nems safe.

2.) Biocube 32 in tank media basket water diverter.
* I will need one of these in the near future so not as high on the list as the anemone gaurd.

Below is a link I found for one, it’s not the same type as the one i currently have for my main tank. So I'm not certain if this one would preform as well.

Below is the one I actually have now for comparsion. - the part the water flows from the end is different than one shown above.

inTank Media Basket Water Director for Oceanic & Coralife BioCube 29 and LED BioCube 32 https://a.co/d/66NyUUU

I'm not fully sure on the cost associateed printing things like this or if it's just cheaper to get them from Amazon.

If it's possible and worth printing them considering time, effort, and matérials verse the cost of buying one online please let me know.

I will be at the up coming CFM on the Saturday.
I've got the Mp40 anenome gaurd if you don't mind them being in PETG Translucent . You can have them for free since I'm going to reprint two of them when my black filament comes in tomorrow

I’m curious what kind of printers you guys have? Im looking into getting into that hobby. I keep finding things I want to the point where I might as well get my own but I’d have to look into the learning curve of 3D printing. Is the hard part designing the files? If there is a file already made, is it as easy as just hitting print and the machine will do it?
I've been really happy with my Bambu Labs X1C. It print super fast and can do different colors in one print (although I hate doing multi color prints). The base A1 printer by itself is good enough and is at a great price $339

I've got the Mp40 anenome gaurd if you don't mind them being in PETG Translucent . You can have them for free since I'm going to reprint two of them when my black filament comes in tomorrow
Dumb question probably is it kinda acrylic type of translucent? Like clear or more bluish like in the link?

I also assume the material is reef safe?

I would be grateful for one, as I have nothing at all in mine currently.

How much would you charge me for a black one in the future?

This is nothing I need like tomorrow fyi, as it should be a few weeks before i would shift over nems into this tank.

Dumb question probably is it kinda acrylic type of translucent? Like clear or more bluish like in the link?

I also assume the material is reef safe?

I would be grateful for one, as I have nothing at all in mine currently.

How much would you charge me for a black one in the future?

This is nothing I need like tomorrow fyi, as it should be a few weeks before i would shift over nems into this tank.
The translucent ones I’m pretty sure are the ones in his BST thread

I printed these in PETG filament since that's what's been getting the most confidence from other reefers out there. It's a more durable material and people have been using it for a couple of years now in saltwater aquariums. We really don't have a longer historical track record since 3D printing hasn't been widely used in the hobby long enough (i.e., 10 years or more). But it's pretty much like a clear white color. My blue, white and black filament spools came in today so I'll be printing a new set for myself. It takes about an hour and 42 minutes for me to crank one of the guards out on the X1C

Due to scheduling issues I was not able to pick up the surface skimmer. Is there someone who's coming to CFM, who is willing to print this for me?

It would be very greatly appreciated.

Due to scheduling issues I was not able to pick up the surface skimmer. Is there someone who's coming to CFM, who is willing to print this for me?

I have a printer coming in this weekend. If setup goes well I got you! I keep finding things I want lol so I figured I’d just get one

Your print has been initiated. Using black PETG. Time to completion: 2 hours, 3 minutes from now
1725596061536.png

I got a 3d printer as a trade for corals. Flashforge Creator Pro. A little older unit and not super fancy but it was a fun, but sometimes frustrating, learning experience. You need to tinker with calibrating parts of the printer, finding the right temperature for the material you're using, tweaking the print (3d slicer) settings for best results. Really disheartening coming back after 5 hours to check on a print in progress only to find it a big globby mess. Once you get the hang of it it's a really fun and handy tool to custom make things you need. Even for non-hobby things around the house it has been really useful for me.

I have no engineering or design background so I used FreeCAD, which is free, and looked up a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to 3d model. Some miscellaneous things I've created for the reefing hobby:

Bracket to hold my mangrove plants while they're developing roots
1725599985125.png

1000006204.jpg

Frag plug stand for the jars I use to keep frags upright. Useful for like torches and hammers.
1725599885719.png

1000004627.jpg

Riser for frag plugs, to encourage frags to branch upwards and because I hate when the corals end up encrusting all over the eggcrate.
1725599929420.png

1000006467.jpg

Back