High Tide Aquatics

Reef 3D printing request thread

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18
I received and installed the overflow @t0mmy108 printed. Thank you Tom!

There are some (solvable) problems with the design I sent Tom. Not enough water enters the weir for the filter to actually intake which causes issues. The filter drains the overflow and suck air which stalls the flow, the overflow fills a little while the filter is stalled, the filter ramps back up draining the overflow and sucking air, rinse repeat.

To remedy this I heated the back of a fork over a lighter, and melted/poked 3 horizontal line-shaped holes into the side of the overflow facing away from any viewing angles. This, by increasing the flow, prevents the aforementioned problem, while simultaneously preventing another: By allowing water from below the surface to enter the overflow, we prevent the motor from burning out should the water level drop below the weir line.

I suggest anyone using the file to either edit it or modify it the way I did.

I also greatly suggest poking a hole on the bottom of the overflow, so that during water changes, water can drain out, preventing the overflow from detaching from the filter from the weight of the water it holds, potentially dropping it onto your livestock.

@ReyDeFarts If you plan on going this route, I can send you pictures of what I did, but they're pretty simple mods. Poke hole, problem solved.

IMG_6171.jpeg

I received and installed the overflow @t0mmy108 printed. Thank you Tom!

There are some (solvable) problems with the design I sent Tom. Not enough water enters the weir for the filter to actually intake which causes issues. The filter drains the overflow and suck air which stalls the flow, the overflow fills a little while the filter is stalled, the filter ramps back up draining the overflow and sucking air, rinse repeat.

To remedy this I heated the back of a fork over a lighter, and melted/poked 3 horizontal line-shaped holes into the side of the overflow facing away from any viewing angles. This, by increasing the flow, prevents the aforementioned problem, while simultaneously preventing another: By allowing water from below the surface to enter the overflow, we prevent the motor from burning out should the water level drop below the weir line.

I suggest anyone using the file to either edit it or modify it the way I did.

I also greatly suggest poking a hole on the bottom of the overflow, so that during water changes, water can drain out, preventing the overflow from detaching from the filter from the weight of the water it holds, potentially dropping it onto your livestock.

@ReyDeFarts If you plan on going this route, I can send you pictures of what I did, but they're pretty simple mods. Poke hole, problem solved.

View attachment 60371
That's awesome man. I did what you said and just increased my water volume some more to quiet down my cascade. Now my problem is the ATO sensor being way too low, under the rim. I have a weird pointy-oval shaped sensor which I may end up having to swap with a different type to alleviate that issue.

@Srt4eric & @t0mmy108
Thanks to both of you for bringing great prints to share with everyone.

I definitely would like to try the overflow box Tommy, if you're up for printing another one. Looks like a great upgrade for this unit.

@tribbitt Have you seen a file for the cascade section to drop lower? I have not seen anything, but I also have only tried basic Google searches. Is there a better place to find files?

That's awesome man. I did what you said and just increased my water volume some more to quiet down my cascade. Now my problem is the ATO sensor being way too low, under the rim. I have a weird pointy-oval shaped sensor which I may end up having to swap with a different type to alleviate that issue.

@Srt4eric & @t0mmy108

I definitely would like to try the overflow box Tommy, if you're up for printing another one. Looks like a great upgrade for this unit.

@tribbitt Have you seen a file for the cascade section to drop lower? I have not seen anything, but I also have only tried basic Google searches. Is there a better place to find files?
I have a spare ATO, the one that came off of my Red Sea Max e 170 that you can have. It’s the same JBJ one I gave you before. Not sure how that one treated you but they’ve been good to me. I can also print that file for you. Usually I look on reef2reef there’s a master thread. Or thingiverse.com

I have a spare ATO, the one that came off of my Red Sea Max e 170 that you can have. It’s the same JBJ one I gave you before. Not sure how that one treated you but they’ve been good to me. I can also print that file for you. Usually I look on reef2reef there’s a master thread. Or thingiverse.com
Haaa haaa. I literally just left a comment about the first time we met, the live rock and ato. Yes! I'd be stoked to use it please! Let me look through my frags to see if I have anything that would interest you. I'll DM you.

Here to help!

One of my friends sent me to this site. I have been 3d printing a lot of things for his aquarium and local shops. Happy to support the community. We have 4 printers, including a multimateral printer and a high resolution resin printer. We also do acrylic laser cuts up to 12x24” at 1/4” thick (and we can access much larger equipment)

(Day job is a design engineer for most larger corps. We can design things in CAD for you if needed.)
IMG_3838.jpeg

Here to help!

One of my friends sent me to this site. I have been 3d printing a lot of things for his aquarium and local shops. Happy to support the community. We have 4 printers, including a multimateral printer and a high resolution resin printer. We also do acrylic laser cuts up to 12x24” at 1/4” thick (and we can access much larger equipment)

(Day job is a design engineer for most larger corps. We can design things in CAD for you if needed.)View attachment 60378
Ohhhhhhh you fancy!!! Very clean set up.

Ohhhhhhh you fancy!!! Very clean set up.
I wish this was mine. I see a lot of these crazy setups after meeting this guy. Personally, I’m a high tech planted shrimp tank kinda vibe. Still haven’t made the jump up to reefing.

ETA: We also do a lot of UV neon parts. These are our own designed RFG’s in 1/4” up to 1” locline sizes.
IMG_0695.jpeg

I wish this was mine. I see a lot of these crazy setups after meeting this guy. Personally, I’m a high tech planted shrimp tank kinda vibe. Still haven’t made the jump up to reefing.

ETA: We also do a lot of UV neon parts. These are our own designed RFG’s in 1/4” up to 1” locline sizes.
View attachment 60395
Where are you located @Socalredline? Just so you know to sell stuff here it should be in the b/s/t section of our forums and you need to be a supporting member to access that.

Where are you located @Socalredline? Just so you know to sell stuff here it should be in the b/s/t section of our forums and you need to be a supporting member to access that.
I’m down in South Bay. And yea, not trying to advertise anything. (I remember car forums and all those sticker and shirt scams)
Mostly want to help since I’ve found some really cool CAD work projects through the community for non aquarium things, want to pay it forward

@Srt4eric & @t0mmy108

printing one for you

Back