Cali Kid Corals

Reef 3D printing request thread

I got a 3d printer as a trade for corals. Flashforge Creator Pro. A little older unit and not super fancy but it was a fun, but sometimes frustrating, learning experience. You need to tinker with calibrating parts of the printer, finding the right temperature for the material you're using, tweaking the print (3d slicer) settings for best results. Really disheartening coming back after 5 hours to check on a print in progress only to find it a big globby mess. Once you get the hang of it it's a really fun and handy tool to custom make things you need. Even for non-hobby things around the house it has been really useful for me.

I have no engineering or design background so I used FreeCAD, which is free, and looked up a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to 3d model. Some miscellaneous things I've created for the reefing hobby:

Bracket to hold my mangrove plants while they're developing roots
View attachment 60091

View attachment 60092

Frag plug stand for the jars I use to keep frags upright. Useful for like torches and hammers.
View attachment 60089

View attachment 60093

Riser for frag plugs, to encourage frags to branch upwards and because I hate when the corals end up encrusting all over the eggcrate.
View attachment 60090
View attachment 60094
Yeah I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos because I really want to learn how to design things and not just print premade files. I might have to hit you up for that jar frag plug stand though lol that looks really useful. Where do you get those cups btw? I got a few of those at CFM and I really liked them but I used them to put corals in the past frag swap.

Yea I only have 1.
20240909_065642.jpg

I'm after a Kessil 350W light shade. I think this file will work with my model? I tried to buy the one off Chris Aquatics, but he doesn't ship to my address so I'm SOL buying one online. I also want one for a 150w, but can't find that anywhere (including a print file) anywhere. I'd prefer black filament if possible.
Did anyone make this for you yet? Im printing @MichaelB water diverter right now and can do this next.

Back